Thursday, July 12, 2007

July 12, 1977



No, it's not a mistake in the subject line. Thirty years ago today, my precious little sister died. Every year the anniversary comes, one reminder amidst at least 365 reminders each year of her absence from among us. Yet the actual anniversary day remains aday of special re-membering.


I can remember that morning like it was yesterday morning. She had been sick in the hospital for several months, yet still there was hope we'd be able to take her home eventually. In the meantime, God came for her and took her home with Him.


One would think that thirty years would wash away the pain, but the reality is that still I miss her right here next to me. When you really love someone, you never really forget such a loss, but you eventually - with God's grace - come to accept life with it and through the grace of faith relate to the "absent" loved one in a new yet very real way.


She watches over me, I know, and I count on her to continue interceding for all of us.

4 Comments:

At 1:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,

I have no idea what it's like to lose a sibling...know that you are in my thoughts and prayers as you remember your sister.

 
At 12:29 AM , Blogger marthatherese said...

Yes, I know what you meant--My heart still aches so bad whenever I remember LOSS. I don't think time can wash away our pain even though we would like it too. It'll always there. I've learned how to cope better.
Keep you close in heart & thoughts!
MT

 
At 9:27 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Thank you both for your comments and prayers. I greatly appreciate your thoughts.

 
At 7:07 PM , Blogger Sr. Marianne Lorraine Trouve said...

Hi Lisa,

I didn't know you had a sister who died, so I'm sorry to hear about it. You're so right, the passage of time doesn't really take away the grief.
It reminds me of a great quote from C.S. Lewis. It wasn't so much about death, I think, but other types of wounds, but it's still a great thought. I don't have the exact quote with me but it went like this:
There is that saying "time heals all wounds." But in reality it doesn't; time heals nothing. But the blood of Jesus Christ does heal the wounds we have, especially the wounds of sin. Death isn't a sin of course, but it ultimately is a result of the original sin, and Jesus heals that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home