Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Gospel of the Woman at the Well


For me, the Gospels are a source of life. I am grateful to be able to converse with them in prayer and in them find God speaking to me.

Among my special Gospels are "The Sermon on the Mount," "the Road to Emmaus," and "the Transfiguration." Interestingly, the woman at the well is not a Gospel that I've connected to in the past. I have respected and appreciated its message, but for some reason, I just never got close to it. I liked (and still like) the image of water it contains, but something has kept me from getting close and personal with this Gospel story.

As I prepared for this Sunday's liturgy, I thought a bit about the distance between me and this Gospel. Actually it was kind of bothering me. Then, not too long into my meditation, I was given a different approach to it: What if I am in the place of the woman? What if I am the woman at the well and Jesus is speaking to me?

Wow, what a different perspective! Definitely the beginning of a closer encounter with this Gospel story and with Jesus through it. I still have a lot to ponder about my new place with this Gospel story, but for now I am thankful that I've been able to get a closer look at it and now feel not so distanced from it.

I'll let you know what other thoughts I discover as I continue to comtemplate it. In the meantime, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on it or on other scriptures that have felt a bit distanced for you.

2 Comments:

At 6:50 AM , Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

I know that for me, putting myself in the place of the woman at the well is painful. It shows how vulnerable I am. I become, metaphorically and actually,that "unholy woman" with the tainted background, that woman that Jesus already knows and that I cannot hide, though I may try. But I also see His tenderness and love in this Gospel passage. The LOVE of God. And He does welcome me! Thanks be to God!!!

 
At 6:54 PM , Blogger Easter Almuena said...

Hellod dear Lisa,

This is awesome!

I had the pleasure of doing Lectio Divina at one of our parishes. The talk was given by a Pauline Sister here in our area. In my small group was a priest. What caught his attention and mine is: God's cistern is full. Ever since that, when I need God's grace, I say those words! Thank you for this post!

By the way, dear sister in Christ, please say a prayer for me. I have been a member of our choir (I also cantor with my husband) for over 3 years now (don't be fooled, my singing needs improvement... :-) he he he...), but am discerning to moving to becoming a full-time lector. I would love that! Thanks for your prayers, Lisa! :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home