Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Remembering dear Sister Francetta...


In my last post, I mentioned that I had spent Sunday afternoon at a local gathering at the Motherhouse of Sisters and Lay Associates. At the gathering, I sat next to my friend Sister Francetta and was very appreciative, deeply appreciative, of the spirit she was sharing and the effort she was putting forth not only to minister to others but to be ministered to as well. She played a very significant but unobtrusive part in Sunday's gathering, ensuring that each one who wished had an opportunity to share her thoughts on Pope Benedict's "God is Love" and that each one received a thought from the writings of our foundress, Blessed Pauline von Mallinckrodt, and the opportunity to share with the group how that particular excerpt from M. Pauline's writings was speaking to her at that moment. No was one pushed to share, all were invited, and by the end, each and everyone present - Sisters and Associates -- shared. And there was the visible fingerprint of Divine Providence present as the sharings revealed how relevant the particular passage each one drew from the plate was so relevant to her life in the given moment. At the end, Sister Francetta observed what a really beautiful and meaningful sharing had taken place and commented how sharings such as that one provide mutual support on the journey. Who knew the journey that S. Francetta was to take the very next morning?
On Monday morning, S. Francetta attended Holy Mass and received the Eucharist and then shared breakfast with the Sisters at the Motherhouse as she had done every year for the past x years. She then made a visit to Chapel and proceeded to her office. The Sister in the adjoining office heard Sister fall and immediately went to assist her; however, God had already taken His bride home to eternal life with Him.
A life such as Sister Francetta's cannot be summed up in a single post but it's definitely a life worth noting and sharing. As I try to make sense of her sudden death, I am trying to capture and not forget a single word she ever shared. She had a deep faith and trust in God and encouraged others to rely on God even in their darkest hours because He would not fail. I'm sure that was a lesson that did not come easy for her, but it was a lesson that was real for her and she shared it generously but gently, humbly but honestly. The wake for Sister will take place on Thursday and her Mass of Christian Burial will be on Friday. She touched so many people's lives but never counted the costs. She truly embodied the ideal that "Love Never Counts, Love Alone Counts."
May Sister Francetta rest in peace! May her soul and all the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace.

3 Comments:

At 9:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Sister Francetta was my teacher at Holy Trinity parish school in Hazleton, Pennsylvania in grades 7 and 8 from 1962 through 1964. She was an intelligent, graceful and witty teacher. I thought of her very often over the years. Holy Trinity school and convent closed some years ago and the church was just closed and deconsecrated. While thinking about that a few days ago, I googled Sister Francetta 's name and read about her celebrating the 60th anniversary of her profession. I was so happy to see that she was alive and well. I was so saddened to read tonight just a few days later that she had passed away. She left a lasting impression on me and my sister and my entire family. Hers was a life well led I am sure.

 
At 10:42 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Peggy, I hope you'll be back so you'll see how much you post is appreciated. Clearly Divine Providence is at work even via weblogs. I had posted my remembrance of Sister Francetta less than an hour before you saw it. Thank you for taking the time to share your memory of Sister and for mentioning the impact she made on your life and that of your family. I took the liberty of sharing your thoughts with the Sisters. I know that they will deeply appreciate them as well.

By the way, Hazleton is a beautiful place! I had the opportunity to visit at Holy Trinity on several occasions. I'm sure it's been very difficult to experience not only closure but the "deconsecration" of the church building. I am certain that in the hearts of the people it will always be "holy ground."

 
At 7:11 AM , Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

My heart felt sympathy in the loss of a dear any holy companion on the journey. It must be some consolation that she will be "home" to meet you when you arrive. God Bless you all with is tender love and compassion. Cathy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home