Sunday, February 04, 2007

"By Name I Have Called You..."






The Feast of the Presentation (or a designated day close to it) is set aside as a day to celebrate consecrated life. In dioceses throughout the United States, celebrations have been held, many during Evening Prayer and including a common renewal of vows and an affirmation of the call to religious life.



In celebration of religious life and consecrated religious, I thought it would be interesting to consider some of the unique histories and traditions of various religious communities. To do complete histories here would be impossible; however, I thought it would be interesting to pick an aspect of religious life and consider its traditions and how they have remained the same or changed over time.



The component I've decided to pick is "naming," the giving/selection of one's name in religious life. So, visitors, I invite you to share your community's traditions and practices around religious names in community.




2 Comments:

At 2:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love the blog that you have. I was wondering if you would link my blog to yours and in return I would do the same for your blog. If you want to, my site name is American Legends and the URL is:

www.americanlegends.blogspot.com

If you want to do this just go to my blog and in one of the comments just write your blog name and the URL and I will add it to my site.

Thanks,
David

 
At 9:50 PM , Blogger Joseph Koczera, S.J. said...

In some (but not all) provinces of the Jesuits, it is customary to take a "vow name" on making First or Final Vows, though this does not take the place of one's given name, as it does in many other religious communities. In practical terms, then, it's more like a confirmation name - mine is "Isaac Jogues."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home