Sunday, May 27, 2007

Gospel Reflections


Pentecost Blessings!

This week I've vesseled the weekly Gospel reflections for Quellen Center and thought I'd also share them here.

Pentecost Sunday, May 27, 2007
John 20:19-23

Reflection:

The disciples were gathered together in their fear. They locked the doors, attempting to keep out what they believed might harm them. They felt alone and did not know what the future held. Yet as He promised, in their hour of greatest need, Jesus came to them. He made His presence among them known by standing in their midst and extending a familiar greeting of peace. With that, the disciples were filled with joy to know that Jesus was with them. He again extended peace to them and then commissioned them to go forth in the same way that the Father had sent Him into the world. In doing that, he also gave a sacred mission to His living body, the Church, and on Pentecost we gather as Church to remember that sacred moment and the gift of the Spirit that he gave to be with us at every moment and in every circumstance. In addition, with the closing lines of this passage, Jesus gifts us with the Sacrament of Reconciliation, another reminder of His ever present presence with us through the sacramental mysteries of the Church.

Today I contemplate the times when I am afraid and lock the doors of my heart, attempting to keep distance from things or people that might harm, confront, or challenge me. Like He did for the disciples, Jesus wants to be present to me in those moments and extend to me His gift of peace. Am I open to accepting His gift? Am I willing to hold His gift and enable it to reach others through me? Even when I try to lock out Jesus, I need to recognize that He remains with me, extending His peace and offering His embrace especially when I most need it. Even in those moments of my aloneless and fear, He also sends me just as He sent the disciples and the Father sent Him. Do I hear that call? Do I respond in openness, selflessness, and trust? Do I receive the gift of the Spirit that Jesus gives, and do I celebrate the many ways in which Jesus continues to makes His presence known in and through the Church and its sacraments?

Prayer:

Spirit of God, despite my fear and hesitation, enable me at all times and in every circumstance to accept the gifts you give me. Free me from the locked doors that isolate me from others and fill me with Your love so that I might readily and constantly share that same love with others. Permit me to receive your love, healing, and forgiveness and to extend those same gifts to others.

Come Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of Your faithful
and enkindle in us the fire of Your love.
Send forth Your Spirit and
we shall be recreated
and we shall renew
the face
of the earth!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home