Thursday, November 09, 2006

What Kind of US English Do I Speak?







Your Linguistic Profile:
40% Yankee
30% General American English
15% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern


I thought that this seemingly innocent quiz had a great lesson for our times when the focus on immigration reform often turns to a discussion on the English language. As a nation built on colonialism, we often still carry ideas about the universality of the English language even just here in the U.S. This fun quiz highlights the great diversity within the English language even "here at home."

1 Comments:

At 3:36 PM , Blogger Sr. Marianne Lorraine Trouve said...

I put this on my blog too. But I noticed the totals don't add up to 100%, either for yours or mine.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home