Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Update on Lady

During the day on Sunday and through Monday, Lady started to show some signs of stabilizing. Once we were able to get some control over her pain/discomfort, we were optimistic, in consultation with her doctor, that we might be able to manage the cancer for a while and have her experience quality of life for whatever time she would have remaining. However, despite those good intentions and best attempts, God has another plan for Lady and called her home to Him. Just about 14 years to the day that she came to be part of our family.

The time since I received the news of her death has been very difficult. I am writing this post in between episodes of crying. I rationalize with myself that this is better for her and I should be grateful (which I am) for the blessings, but at the same time, I know that I will miss her deeply. I just knew that she'd be there, loving me unconditionally. The realization came to me, although I have always bonded deeply with my pets, that Lady was the first dog I raised from puppyhood with me being an adult. The relationship with Lady is not only long-term but very interdependent. In some ways, even when I moved from home, I took for granted that she'd be there. I am glad I had the opportunity to be with over the course of her final days with us. I only wish there had been more opportunities when she was healthy over the past few years. A lesson learned at a high price! While my family and friends will tell me that I was good to her and contributed to giving her a good life, it's my nature to always look at what else I could have done. It's just the way I am made ...

It's impossible to sum up 14 years of a pet's life. For now, I can only say that Lady is synonymous with goodness and she has reflected God's unconditional love through the best and worst of times. May she experience wholeness and peace now and a happy reunion with her beloved companion and with my Dad.

Thanks for the prayers -- please keep them coming! She's presently at the Pet Funeral Home where they will keep her until next week when we will have a farewell and gratitude ceremony and then she will be cremated.

1 Comments:

At 7:30 PM , Blogger seeking_something said...

Heartfelt condolences. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home