Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Election Day 2005

In some ways, a non-presidential election can garner minimal interest. But this year in New Jersey, the gubernatorial race, while not extremely compelling, has garnered interest and combined with the good weather today appears to have motivated people to go and vote.

Voter turnout is important and can be a source of discouragement or encouragement, depending on how you look at it and what the circumstances are.

Statewide, New Jerseyans faced the choice of two millionaires for governor. What an interesting conundrum on that point alone, never mind the rest of the factors to consider.

Then each state legislative district across the state had votes for two assembly seats.

Locally, on the county level, this county had two freeholder seats, county sheriff, and county clerk. On the municipal level, we have likely the most interesting race this time around, two seats in a partisan race for township council.

It's 6:30 pm, and the New Jersey polls are open until 8 pm. It won't be until around 9 pm that results will have any certainty to them.

With my interest in politics, governments, and elections running deep, I have to take a look at what's going on back home. But that'll be for later. For now, let me share my predictions about the gubernatorial race.

This is the first time in a long time that I don't feel confident in making my prediction about a high profile race, this time the race for governor. While I have been pretty accurate in my predictions about the election in general, the race has been extremely close and with the dual-sided negative campaigning of the past few days together with the good weather today, it's bound to be an extremely close race that won't be certified until the final hour with plenty of back and forth to court for recounts, voting machine openings, and absentee ballot challenges.

That said, I wouldn't be me if I didn't take the chance of a prediction, noting that the predictions should not be construed as reflecting/not reflecting my preferences.

PREDICTIONS


GOVERNOR: The Republican Candidate, by a slight margin. A win is a win from the point of view of the victor, but the count will be so close that it will fail to demonstrate any mandate from the people. Also, several Independent Candidates including an opthalmologist and an opposition candidate will have respectable showings.

ASSEMBLY: Both incumbent Democratic Candidates will be reelected.

COUNTY CLERK: The incumbent Republican will be reelected by probably the widest margin of any county-wide candidate.

SHERIFF: The incumbent Democrat will be reelected by a slim margin with the Republican challenger garnering a greater showing that most anticipated.

FREEHOLDER: A young Republican Candidate will be elected to his first term, and one of the incumbent Democrats, the female candidate, will be reelected.

TOWNSHIP COUNCIL: Both Republican Candidates will win the local election.

I will let you know later how I fared as far as my predictions.

2 Comments:

At 1:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I really like your Thanksgiving reflection. Thank God for people like you who are so God-centered. Blessings to you and yours.

 
At 8:01 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Thank you for posting your comment. I simply try to share the fruits of my own reflections.

Blessings to you as well!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home